Food escapades in modernist cuisine

24 Hour Sous Vide Beef Chuck Roast

What I love most about the sous vide process is that I can transform typically low-quality, cheap cuts of meat into something flavorful, tender, and delicious that is reminiscent of a higher-quality cut of meat like a ribeye that is three or four times more expensive.

I recently cooked a 4-5 pound beef chuck roast that I purchased from BJ's Wholesale warehouse for around $3 / lb. This cut is typically cut down into smaller pieces and then braised on the stove top for hours in order to make it edible. Instead I opted to sous vide it over night.

Here's what I did:

I set my sous vide tool to 132 degrees and let it pre-heat. I have an old school Sous Vide Supreme, but there are many better, cheaper sous vide options available now such as Joule and Anova.


I then placed my beef chuck roast into a large zip loc bag, adding to it some dried rosemary, salt, pepper and granulated garlic. I removed as much as air as possible using the water displacement method and dropped into the Sous Vide Supreme (along with some short ribs I've been cooking for another recipe).


After cooking for 24 hours, I took the chuck roast out of the zip loc, dried off the exterior moisture and then seared it quickly in a hot saute pan.


The resulting chuck roast was delicious - medium rare from edge to edge and exceptionally tender, resembling something like a low and slow cooked prime rib of beef.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, this looks so good! Gotta love sous vide!

Anonymous said...

I love my old school sous vide supreme. I have a newer anova stick kind -but I like the sous vide supreme better - much easier to work with in my opinion.

Post a Comment

Modernist Foodie Copyright © 2013